Translate This Page Into Another Language
Print This Page
Bookmark This Page
If you're using Netscape, click 'Bookmarks'
then 'Add Bookmark' or 'File Bookmark'
Jump Directly to Week:
(Daily homework assignments will open in a new browser window)
W E E K O N E
Introduction to the Course
- Overview of course content, assignments and expectations. Self-introductions.
The Sociological Imagination
- Mills, C. Wright. "The Promise," in Mapping the Social Landscape (MSL) pp. 1-7.
- Gaines, Donna. "Teenage Wasteland: Suburbia's Dead-End Kids," in MSL, pp. 7-20.
- Romero, Mary. "Intersection of Biography and History: My Intellectual Journey," in MSL, pp. 20-35.
- Click here for the Jan. 22 assignment.
Conducting Social Research
- Babbie, Earl. "An Idea Whose Time Has Come," in MSL, pp. 36-48.
- Haney, Craig, et al, "Interpersonal Dynamics in a Simulated Prison," in MSL, pp. 49-59.
- Haney, Kaplan, Elaine Bell. "Not Our Kind of Girl," in MSL, pp. 59-67.
- Click here for the Jan. 24 assignment.
W E E K T W O
Planning and Carrying Out a Research Project
- Duneier, Mitchell, "Appendix: A Statement on Method," in Sidewalk.
- Richlin-Klonsky et al, "The Ethnographic Field Research Paper," in A Guide to Writing Sociology Papers (reserve).
- Select research topics and organize groups.
The Social Structure of Disaster: The Buffalo Creek Flood
- Erikson, Everything in Its Path, Introduction, " February 26, 1972" pp. 9-48.
- Film (in class): "Buffalo Creek"
Culture, History and Community: Appalachia and The Mountain Ethos
- Erikson, Everything in Its Path, Part Two, "Notes on Appalachia" pp. 51-78, "The Mountain Ethos," pp. 79-93.
- Film (in class): "Buffalo Creek Revisited."
W E E K T H R E E
Social Change: The Coal Mines and the Flood
- Erikson, Everything in Its Path, Part Two: "The Coming of the Coal Camps," pp. 94-114, "Buffalo Creek," pp. 115-132.
- Click here for the Week 3 questions.
- Erikson, Everything in Its Path, Part Three: "Looking for Scars," pp. 135-155, "Individual Trauma: State of Shock," pp.156-185.
Collective Trauma and Loss of Community
- Erikson, Everything in Its Path, Part Three: "Collective Trauma," pp. 186-245, "Conclusion," pp. 246-259.
W E E K F O U R
Culture and Subcultures
- Velliquette, Anne M., and Jeff B. Murray. "The New Tattoo Subculture, " in MSL, pp. 68-80.
- Gibson, J. William. "Warrior Dreams," in MSL, pp. 93-102.
- Blee, Kathleen, "Women of the Klan," In MSL 192-204.
- Group 1 research papers due.
- Click here for the Week 4 questions.
Group I Presentation: Everything in Its Path
- Short Essays on Everything in Its Path due.
Classical Sociological Theory
- Marx, Karl and Friedrich Engels, "Manifesto of the Communist Party," in MSL, pp. 453-459.
- Weber, Max, "The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism," in MSL, pp. 488-495.
- Durkheim, "What is a Social Fact?" (reserve).
Next -- Weeks 5-8